Close Menu
    What's Hot

    Raducanu Out, Badosa & Bencic Battle Through as Dubai Tennis Championships Serve Up Early Drama

    February 17, 2026

    ‘They Are Being Rounded Up Like Cattle’: UN Exposes Systematic Torture and Killings of Migrants in Libya

    February 17, 2026

    Dubai’s Rental Yields Defy Global Slowdown as GCC Property Boom Extends into 2026

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • Economy
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Gulf News Week
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • Home
    • Politics
      • Europe
      • Middle East
      • Russia
      • Social
      • Ukraine Conflict
      • US Politics
      • World
    • Region
      • Middle East News
    • World
    • Economy
      • Banking
      • Business
      • Markets
    • Real Estate
    • Science & Tech
      • AI & Tech
      • Climate
      • Computing
      • Science
      • Space Science
      • Tech
    • Sports

      Raducanu Out, Badosa & Bencic Battle Through as Dubai Tennis Championships Serve Up Early Drama

      February 17, 2026

      India Demolish Pakistan in T20 World Cup Showdown as Political Chill Freezes Handshake

      February 16, 2026

      Neto’s Perfect Hat-Trick Powers Chelsea Past Hull as Rosenior Haunts Former Club

      February 14, 2026

      Meydan Takes Center Stage on Saudi Cup Eve as Carnival Heats Up Toward World Cup Night

      February 13, 2026

      Rutherford’s Seven-Six Blitz, Motie’s Spin Web Sink England in Mumbai

      February 12, 2026
    • Health
    • Travel
    • Contact
    Gulf News Week
    Home»Politics»Middle East»Drone hits Aleppo governorate building after Syrian army declares ceasefire
    Middle East

    Drone hits Aleppo governorate building after Syrian army declares ceasefire

    Gulf News WeekBy Gulf News WeekJanuary 10, 2026Updated:January 10, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Drone hits Aleppo governorate building after Syrian army declares ceasefire
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The strike marks a widening of hostilities that had been contained to Ashrafieh and Sheikh Maqsoud neighbourhoods.

    A drone has struck a governorate building in the Syrian city of Aleppo, marking a sharp escalation in fighting between Syria’s army and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

    The drone, believed to be launched by Kurdish-led SDF on Saturday, hit the building as several high-ranking officials, including Aleppo’s governor and two Syrian government ministers, were holding a news conference inside.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 4 items

    • list 1 of 4Aleppo’s residents caught between hope and fear amid Syria fighting
    • list 2 of 4Syrian army ramps up Aleppo strikes against SDF fighters
    • list 3 of 4Clashes in Aleppo highlight challenge of SDF integration for Syria
    • list 4 of 4Is the Eastern Mediterranean becoming Israel’s new front against Turkiye?

    end of list

    It was the first time the United States-backed SDF, which has been battling the army for control of Aleppo’s Kurdish neighbourhoods this week, had reportedly fired long-range drones into other areas of Syria’s second-largest city.

    Reporting from Aleppo, media’s Resul Serdar Atas said the upper floors of the governorate building were blackened by a blast caused by the drone.

    “While this was happening, Governor Azzam al-Gharib was delivering a press briefing, giving the latest developments and trying to inform the public about what is happening now, not only in Sheikh Maqsoud and Ashrafieh – where heavy fighting has been ongoing for four days – but also across the rest of the city,” he said, adding that it was not clear if there were any casualties.

    The drone strike came shortly after the Syrian army announced it had suspended all military operations in Aleppo’s Sheikh Maqsoud neighbourhood.

    Under the proposed agreement, SDF fighters were to withdraw from the predominantly Kurdish area, surrender their weapons and be transferred to the town of Tabqa in northeastern Syria.

    The Syrian authorities said the deal was aimed at restoring security and preventing further bloodshed.

    Advertisement

    According to Syrian officials, government forces entered Sheikh Maqsoud on Saturday and carried out sweeps of the neighbourhood, confiscating weapons and detaining or disarming SDF fighters.

    State media reported that several SDF members surrendered at Yassin Hospital and that the remaining fighters would be transferred to Tabqa. The army said it had completed operations to secure the area.

    Kurdish-led authorities disputed those claims, saying fighting continued in parts of the district and that government forces had not established full control.

    Kurdish officials disputed those claims, however, saying fighting continued in parts of the district and that government forces had not established full control.

    The SDF called the Syrian government’s statements “a blatant attempt to mislead public opinion”, saying its fighters were still repelling a “fierce attack”.

    Thousands displaced

    The renewed fighting has had a severe effect on Syrian civilians in Aleppo.

    Nearly 180,000 people have been displaced from the Sheikh Maqsoud and Ashrafieh neighbourhoods, where the fighting has been focused.

    Munir al-Mohammad, media director of Aleppo’s Health Directorate, said on Saturday that at least 23 people, including civilians, were killed since Tuesday, with 104 others wounded.

    Authorities warned residents not to return to the affected neighbourhoods due to ongoing military operations and the risk posed by unexploded ordnance.

    Meanwhile, both sides have traded accusations of attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure.

    Kurdish forces accused pro-government factions of shelling areas near Deir Hafer, saying the attack killed a 10-year-old girl.

    Syrian officials, for their part, accused SDF fighters of operating from civilian buildings, including hospitals, and using residents as human shields.

    Since the fall of former President Bashar al-Assad’s regime in December 2024, efforts to integrate the SDF into state institutions and the Syrian army have repeatedly stalled.

    The SDF rose to prominence as Syria began to fragment under the strain of civil unrest in 2011.

    It was officially established in 2015, with the People’s Protection Units (YPG), a Kurdish militia linked to the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), forming the bulk of its fighting force.

    In a deal signed last March, the SDF and the then-interim Syrian government emphasised the unity of Syria and agreed that “all civil and military institutions in northeastern Syria” be merged “into the administration of the Syrian state, including border crossings, the airport, and oil and gas fields”.

    Advertisement

    The agreement aimed to bring the semi-autonomous region in northeastern Syria under the full control of the Syrian central government.

    Since then, Kurdish leaders have expressed concerns over security guarantees and political representation, while Damascus has pushed to reassert control over all remaining autonomous areas.

    Global concern

    International actors have expressed concern over the renewed violence in Aleppo this week.

    The US welcomed the reported ceasefire and called for calm, urging all parties to protect civilians and prevent further escalation.

    Reporting from Damascus, media’s Ayman Oghanna said Washington can “do the most” to boost talks between the Syrian government and the SDF.

    “The US has enjoyed a strong relationship with the SDF for over a decade. The US helped build up and train the SDF, it fought alongside the SDF, and 1,000 US troops remain in SDF territory where they work closely together in the effort to eradicate ISIL (ISIS) from Syria,” Oghanna said.

    “But the US has also recently strengthened its ties with Damascus,” he added.

    The United Nations also voiced alarm over the resumption of fighting, warning of the humanitarian consequences and calling on all sides to respect international law and ensure civilian protection.

    Tom Barrack, the US special envoy for Syria, said in a statement on X on Saturday that he had met with Jordan’s Foreign Minister Ayman al-Safadi in Amman to consolidate a ceasefire and ensure ‍the Kurdish forces’ “peaceful withdrawal” from Aleppo.

    “We urge all parties to exercise maximum restraint, immediately cease hostilities, and return to dialogue,” Barrack also said after meeting with Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa and Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani.

    Barrack added that US Secretary of State Marco Rubio’s team is ready to facilitate engagement between the two sides to advance to integration process.

    Turkiye, meanwhile, has said it is ready to “support” Syria in its fight against the SDF, a group Ankara distrusts and has long opposed.

    News Syria
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    Gulf News Week

    Related Posts

    Middle East

    ‘They Are Being Rounded Up Like Cattle’: UN Exposes Systematic Torture and Killings of Migrants in Libya

    February 17, 2026
    Middle East News

    Syria Begins Dismantling Al-Hol Camp as Thousands of IS Suspects Transferred to Iraq

    February 16, 2026
    Business

    Saudi Mining Licenses Surge 220% in 2025 as Kingdom Unlocks $2.5 Trillion Mineral Wealth

    February 14, 2026
    Middle East News

    ‘Our Consciences Are Challenged’: African Union Chief Condemns ‘Extermination’ of Palestinians at Summit Opening

    February 14, 2026
    Middle East News

    US Orders Second Aircraft Carrier to Middle East in Rare Dual Deployment Amid Iran Pressure

    February 13, 2026
    Middle East News

    Sudan Defense Minister Denounces Leaked ‘Intel Document’ as Fabrication After Aid Convoy Strike

    February 12, 2026
    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Raducanu Out, Badosa & Bencic Battle Through as Dubai Tennis Championships Serve Up Early Drama

    February 17, 2026

    ‘They Are Being Rounded Up Like Cattle’: UN Exposes Systematic Torture and Killings of Migrants in Libya

    February 17, 2026

    Dubai’s Rental Yields Defy Global Slowdown as GCC Property Boom Extends into 2026

    February 17, 2026

    India Demolish Pakistan in T20 World Cup Showdown as Political Chill Freezes Handshake

    February 16, 2026
    Latest Posts

    ‘They Are Being Rounded Up Like Cattle’: UN Exposes Systematic Torture and Killings of Migrants in Libya

    February 17, 2026

    Syria Begins Dismantling Al-Hol Camp as Thousands of IS Suspects Transferred to Iraq

    February 16, 2026

    Saudi Mining Licenses Surge 220% in 2025 as Kingdom Unlocks $2.5 Trillion Mineral Wealth

    February 14, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Advertisement
    Demo
    Gulf News Week

    Your source for the serious news. This demo is crafted specifically to exhibit the use of the theme as a news site. Visit our main page for more demos.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Raducanu Out, Badosa & Bencic Battle Through as Dubai Tennis Championships Serve Up Early Drama

    February 17, 2026

    ‘They Are Being Rounded Up Like Cattle’: UN Exposes Systematic Torture and Killings of Migrants in Libya

    February 17, 2026

    Dubai’s Rental Yields Defy Global Slowdown as GCC Property Boom Extends into 2026

    February 17, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 Gulf News Week. Designed by HAM Digital Media.
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.