Close Menu
    What's Hot

    Clear outperformer: Abu Dhabi banks drive GCC profits

    August 31, 2025

    UAE–India trade set to defy US tariff pressures, eyes $100b milestone

    August 31, 2025

    UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon was renewed. What happens next?

    August 31, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • Economy
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Gulf News Week
    Subscribe
    Sunday, August 31
    • Home
    • Politics
      • Europe
      • Middle East
      • Russia
      • Social
      • Ukraine Conflict
      • US Politics
      • World
    • Region
      • Middle East News
    • World
    • Economy
      • Banking
      • Business
      • Markets
    • Real Estate
    • Science & Tech
      • AI & Tech
      • Climate
      • Computing
      • Science
      • Space Science
      • Tech
    • Sports

      Club World Cup marked by empty seats, searing heat, weather-delayed matches and Chelsea victory

      July 14, 2025

      In an era prizing velocity, more than 20,000 curveballs a year have disappeared from MLB

      July 14, 2025

      Iga Swiatek is at No. 3 after Wimbledon and Amanda Anisimova is in the top 10. Sinner still No. 1

      July 14, 2025

      Jannik Sinner wanted to win Wimbledon but he really needed to beat Carlos Alcaraz

      July 14, 2025

      Nationals take Eli Willits with No. 1 pick in MLB draft, first of record 17 first-round shortstops

      July 14, 2025
    • Health
    • Travel
    • Contact
    Gulf News Week
    Home»Politics»Middle East»Australia denies Iran action due to ‘intervention’ by Israel’s Netanyahu
    Middle East

    Australia denies Iran action due to ‘intervention’ by Israel’s Netanyahu

    Gulf News WeekBy Gulf News WeekAugust 27, 2025Updated:August 27, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Australia denies Iran action due to ‘intervention’ by Israel’s Netanyahu
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Israel made the claim after Australia’s PM said Iran directed two attacks on a Jewish community, which Tehran denies.

    Australia has dismissed a claim that Israeli interventions prompted the government of Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to expel Iran’s ambassador to Canberra, after the premier blamed Tehran for directing anti-Semitic attacks in Sydney and Melbourne.

    “Complete nonsense,” Australian Minister for Home Affairs Tony Burke told ABC Radio on Wednesday, when asked about Israel claiming credit for Australia’s decision to order Tehran’s ambassador, Ahmad Sadeghi, to leave the country.

    Albanese said on Tuesday that Australia had reached “the deeply disturbing conclusion” through “credible intelligence” that found Iran’s government had “directed” at least two attacks against Australia’s Jewish community.

    Responding to a question from the ABC about Australia’s allegations against Iran, Israeli government spokesperson David Mencer had commended Australia for taking “threats seriously” against the Jewish community, which he said had come after a “forthright intervention” from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

    Mencer said Netanyahu had “made very forthright comments about the [Australian] prime minister himself”, which spurred Albanese to action.

    “He made those comments because he did not believe that the actions of the Australian government had gone anywhere near far enough to address the issues of anti-Semitism,” Mencer added.

    The ABC included Mencer’s comments in an article titled: “Israeli government claims credit for pushing Albanese to expel Iranian diplomats.”

    Netanyahu last week accused Albanese of being “a weak politician who betrayed Israel and abandoned Australia’s Jews”, days after Albanese announced Australia would move to formally recognise a Palestinian state in September.

    Advertisement

    Iran said it “absolutely rejected” Australia’s accusations regarding the attacks and noted that the claims had come after Australia had directed “limited criticism” at Israel.

    “It seems that this action is taken in order to compensate for the limited criticism the Australian side has directed at the Zionist regime [Israel],” Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said.

    “Any inappropriate and unjustified action on a diplomatic level will have a reciprocal reaction,” Baghaei said.

    Ilana Lenk, the spokesperson and head of public diplomacy at Israel’s embassy in Canberra, shared Australian newspaper front pages with headlines including, ‘Iran attacks us’ and ‘Iran targets Bondi deli’, in a post on social media.

    “We warned Iran wouldn’t stop with Israel or the Jewish people. The West is next isn’t just a slogan, and today Australia sees it,” she wrote.

    In a statement, the Jewish Council of Australia said it was “shocked to learn of the Iranian government involvement in coordinating antisemitic attacks”.

    “The fact that a foreign government appears to be responsible shows how irresponsible it was for the attacks to be used to demonise the Palestine solidarity protest movement ,” the council said in a statement.

    “We call on politicians and the media to exercise caution and to avoid politicisation of these attacks in a way that could further harm the Jewish community,” the statement added.

    Asia Pacific Australia Benjamin Netanyahu Iran Israel Israel-Iran conflict Israel-Palestine conflict Middle East News Politics
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    Gulf News Week

    Related Posts

    Editor's Choice

    Clear outperformer: Abu Dhabi banks drive GCC profits

    August 31, 2025
    Editor's Choice

    UAE–India trade set to defy US tariff pressures, eyes $100b milestone

    August 31, 2025
    Middle East

    UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon was renewed. What happens next?

    August 31, 2025
    Middle East

    US pressure may break Iranian influence in Iraq

    August 31, 2025
    Middle East

    Gaza humanitarian flotilla departs Barcelona to break Israeli siege

    August 31, 2025
    Middle East

    At least 3 killed, over 90 injured after passenger train derails in Egypt

    August 31, 2025
    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Clear outperformer: Abu Dhabi banks drive GCC profits

    August 31, 2025

    UAE–India trade set to defy US tariff pressures, eyes $100b milestone

    August 31, 2025

    UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon was renewed. What happens next?

    August 31, 2025

    US pressure may break Iranian influence in Iraq

    August 31, 2025
    Latest Posts

    Clear outperformer: Abu Dhabi banks drive GCC profits

    August 31, 2025

    UAE–India trade set to defy US tariff pressures, eyes $100b milestone

    August 31, 2025

    UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon was renewed. What happens next?

    August 31, 2025

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Advertisement
    Demo
    Gulf News Week

    Your source for the serious news. This demo is crafted specifically to exhibit the use of the theme as a news site. Visit our main page for more demos.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Clear outperformer: Abu Dhabi banks drive GCC profits

    August 31, 2025

    UAE–India trade set to defy US tariff pressures, eyes $100b milestone

    August 31, 2025

    UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon was renewed. What happens next?

    August 31, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2025 Gulf News Week. Designed by HAM Digital Media.
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.