Author: Gulf News Week

BASARNASThe Lorens Say Port in Maumere is among the buildings damaged by the earthquake which struck off the coast of the island of FloresAt least five people have died after a 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia early on Saturday morning, according to the provincial governor.The governor of East Nusa Tenggara Province, Emanuel Melkiades Laka Lena, told a press conference they were killed in their sleep by collapsing rubble. Search and rescue teams are working to free anyone trapped in buildings damaged by the quake and the dozens of aftershocks which followed. A tsunami warning was issued but lifted around three…

Read More

Trump on USS Lincoln deployment: ‘Not nearly long enough’A US aircraft carrier is headed to the Middle East to replace the USS Abraham Lincoln, on which thousands of sailors have reportedly faced food shortages and difficult conditions on an extended, nine-month deployment. The USS George Washington, which was near Malaysia on Thursday, could arrive in the region in about nine days, BBC analysis shows. Family members of sailors onboard the Lincoln have expressed concern about their mental health deteriorating due to the conditions, with some sailors having reportedly attempted to jump overboard. While the US Navy has acknowledged supply challenges,…

Read More

BBCIn a whitewashed basement in a village south of Kabul, a dozen young women bustle about, stirring cauldrons of bubbling cherries and plums, and sticking labels on glass jam jars. Ventures like this are one of the rare spaces where women are still able to gain skills and employment in Taliban-ruled Afghanistan.It is run by Najia, a 47-year-old Afghan entrepreneur and mother of nine children who was married at the age of 14.If the authorities hadn’t barred girls and young women from secondary schools and universities, many of the women in this workshop, including Naija’s daughters, would be studying for…

Read More

Getty ImagesMangione, pictured here in May, appeared in court in New York on FridayLuigi Mangione has admitted to killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson after pleading guilty to federal charges of interstate stalking resulting in death. “I shot Mr Thompson in Manhattan and he died,” the 28-year-old admitted in Manhattan federal court on Friday. Thompson, a 50-year-old father of two, was shot from behind on 4 December, 2024 as he walked into a hotel in midtown Manhattan. Following the plea hearing, his family issued a statement calling it “an important step toward justice for Brian and for our family”. Mangione faces…

Read More

EPAMultiple blazes have ripped through Stourbridge, with 19 homes destroyedFires across England and Wales have prompted a national government alert warning people not to light anything that could spark a wildfire.The warning on Friday evening came as it was revealed 19 homes were destroyed and a further 18 damaged in a huge fire in Stourbridge, West Midlands, that spread rapidly through grass and woodland on Thursday before damaging homes.Prime Minister Andy Burnham told members of the public to take the warning “seriously”, adding it was triggered at the request of firefighters.West Midlands Fire Service chief fire officer Simon Tuhill said…

Read More

ITV/ShutterstockJason Arday, the former University of Cambridge professor at the centre of a plagiarism row, has been found dead.Emergency services said a man was found “unresponsive” at an address in Battersea, south London, on Friday afternoon.Arday resigned as a Cambridge professor of sociology of education last week after allegations of plagiarism and questions about some of his achievements. He had denied the claims.Arday’s family said in a statement that they were “in shock to have lost this amazing father, partner, brother, uncle and son”.Earlier on Friday, police officers were called to an address in Battersea by the London Ambulance Service.In…

Read More

Getty ImagesAt least one person has died and around 40 others have been injured after a severe wildfire tore through cities on Croatia’s coastline on Thursday night and Friday morning.The blaze broke out near the village of Lokva Rogoznica on Thursday evening, and spread quickly towards the nearby tourist town of Omis, 6km (7 miles) away. Around 1,200 residents and tourists were evacuated, while 10 people were in intensive care in hospital, the prime minister said. Croatia’s fire chief Slavko Tucakovic described it as “one of the worst” blazes in the country’s history.Croatia is one of several European nations suffering…

Read More

ReutersAccess to the homes has been blocked by settlers since SundayActivists have tried to delivered supplies to Palestinians whose homes in the occupied West Bank have been besieged for days by Israeli settlers.The group left water and food near one of the houses in Qusra where two Palestinian families have been trapped since Sunday, with their power and water supplies cut off.Two of the residents said Israeli forces had prevented the activists from delivering the aid directly to them, and the supplies had to be left outside. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) denied this.Also on Friday, a number of settlers…

Read More

LIVEMillions sent wildfire emergency phone alert warning against ‘any activity that could start a fire’The UK government warns those in England and Wales that there is a “very high risk of wildfires” as PM Andy Burnham warns the country is like a “tinderbox”.

Read More