Author: Gulf News Week

EPAThe current outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo is on track to surpass the deadliest outbreak of the disease ever, the director-general of the World Health Organization (WHO) has said. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters that the 2026 outbreak, “at its current pace”, would “eclipse” that of the 2014-2016 occurrence, which killed at least 11,000 people.The outbreak this year, declared on 15 May, has seen at least 4,300 cases and caused more than 2,000 deaths. The WHO said on Wednesday it hoped to reverse the spread of the disease within three months but warned that this meant…

Read More

Jason Howard/Bauer-Griffin/GC ImagesAmerican football player Travis Kelce has reflected on his wedding to Taylor Swift, telling US media that their nuptials were “the best night of my life”.Kelce and Swift tied the knot on 3 July at New York’s Madison Square Garden in a star-studded event that was largely kept private.Few details from the ceremony have been shared publicly and Kelce’s comments on Wednesday mark the first he’s shared since the couple were wed by comedic actor Adam Sandler.”It was kind of cool to live out my childhood dream of being in that venue, the mecca of all sports venues,…

Read More

NEW YORK (news agencies) — For those trapped in rubble after an earthquake, survival depends on many factors, including weather and access to water and air.If their injuries aren’t too severe, victims can survive for a week or more, assuming the weather isn’t too hot or cold, experts say.Two days after a powerful deadly earthquake struck western Colombia, rescue teams are racing against the clock to search for survivors.Most rescues happen in the 24 hours after a disaster. The chances of survival drop with each day after that, experts say. Most victims are badly injured or buried by falling stones…

Read More

Why are ICE agents getting controversial shock gloves?US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers may soon be equipped with gloves that can deliver electric shocks as they carry out their law enforcement duties.ICE plans to spend up to $20m (£14.8m) to buy the Generated Low Output Voltage Emitter (GLOVE), according to a note published on Monday by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).The gloves can deliver up to 380 volts of electricity, roughly three times the charge of a standard US power outlet.Civil rights groups, including the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), have expressed alarm over its use. ICE is…

Read More

ReutersWhite House press secretary Karoline Leavitt will step down from her position at the end of the month, President Donald Trump has announced.Leavitt, whom the president called one of his “most trusted aides”, will depart from her role to spend time with her young children and family – “a decision I totally understand and respect”, Trump wrote in a social media post.”Karoline will now be one of my top outside advisors, and an influential voice within the Republican Party,” he added.Leavitt, 28, took the job as White House Press Secretary last year – becoming the youngest person to ever have…

Read More

Volodymyr Zelensky/TelegramThe Russian agriculture ministry announced it was working to redirect cargo flows to alternative ports following a barrage of Ukrainian dronesA “massive” Ukrainian drone and missile strike on Russia’s port of Novorossiysk has damaged two major grain export terminals and hit the last big Russian naval base on the Black Sea, reports say.Three people, including an eight-year-old child, were killed and another 24 injured in the overnight attack, local officials said.Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky said Kyiv had launched rockets, jet and naval drones in a “unique operation” to strike the Russian base, although he did not mention grain terminals…

Read More

Watch: Palestinians living in Qusra shared this video showing settlers and members of the Israeli militaryIsraeli settlers have been besieging two Palestinian families in their homes in the occupied West Bank since Sunday, with the families saying their supplies were running out and rights groups urging the authorities to step in.On Wednesday Israeli security forces were reported to have withdrawn from the Jewish settler outpost in the village of Qusra near Nablus, following clashes with a crowd of extremist settlers. About a dozen settlers are said to remain at the site.After the Palestinian homeowners made their initial report to the…

Read More