Close Menu
    What's Hot

    Palestinian Authority urges US to reinstate Abbas’s visa before UNGA

    August 30, 2025

    Yemen’s Houthis confirm Israeli strike killed group’s prime minister

    August 30, 2025

    The rebellion of my daughter in besieged Gaza

    August 30, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • Economy
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Gulf News Week
    Subscribe
    Saturday, August 30
    • Home
    • Politics
      • Europe
      • Middle East
      • Russia
      • Social
      • Ukraine Conflict
      • US Politics
      • World
    • Region
      • Middle East News
    • World
    • Economy
      • Banking
      • Business
      • Markets
    • Real Estate
    • Science & Tech
      • AI & Tech
      • Climate
      • Computing
      • Science
      • Space Science
      • Tech
    • Sports

      Club World Cup marked by empty seats, searing heat, weather-delayed matches and Chelsea victory

      July 14, 2025

      In an era prizing velocity, more than 20,000 curveballs a year have disappeared from MLB

      July 14, 2025

      Iga Swiatek is at No. 3 after Wimbledon and Amanda Anisimova is in the top 10. Sinner still No. 1

      July 14, 2025

      Jannik Sinner wanted to win Wimbledon but he really needed to beat Carlos Alcaraz

      July 14, 2025

      Nationals take Eli Willits with No. 1 pick in MLB draft, first of record 17 first-round shortstops

      July 14, 2025
    • Health
    • Travel
    • Contact
    Gulf News Week
    Home»Politics»Middle East»Israeli military says it has begun ‘initial stages’ of attack on Gaza City
    Middle East

    Israeli military says it has begun ‘initial stages’ of attack on Gaza City

    Gulf News WeekBy Gulf News WeekAugust 29, 2025Updated:August 29, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Israeli military says it has begun ‘initial stages’ of attack on Gaza City
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Israeli military says city in northern Gaza is now a ‘combat zone’, suspends daily pauses in fighting there that allowed delivery of humanitarian aid.

    The Israeli military says it has begun the “initial stages” of its offensive on Gaza City, as it declared the largest urban centre in the besieged territory a “combat zone” and announced the suspension of daily pauses in fighting there that allowed the entry of humanitarian aid to the famine-hit city.

    “We are not waiting. We have begun preliminary operations and the initial stages of the attack on Gaza City,” Israeli military spokesman Avichay Adraee wrote in a post on X on Friday.

    “We are currently operating with great force on the outskirts of the city,” he said.

    The announcement came as the Israeli military confirmed it suspended so-called “tactical pauses” in its attacks on the city in northern Gaza that had previously allowed limited humanitarian operations there.

    “Starting today at 10:00am (07:00 GMT), the tactical-local ceasefire of military activity will not apply to the Gaza City area, which constitutes a dangerous combat zone,” the military said on X.

    Last week, the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) initiative said famine was occurring in the Gaza governorate, a region where hundreds of thousands of Palestinians live, which includes Gaza City.

    Displaced Palestinian children walk in an area of a school used as a shelter in Gaza City, Wednesday, August 27, 2025 [Jehad Alshrafi/AP Photo]

    The UN’s children’s agency warned on Friday that staff at a nutrition centre in Gaza City are struggling to cope with a surge in malnourished children.

    “It’s clear on the ground that famine is absolutely ravaging Gaza City,” UNICEF spokesperson Tess Ingram told media during a visit to the facility, where desperate parents bring their children to be screened and treated. She said she had met “so many” parents who were “in complete despair because they have run out of options”.

    Advertisement

    Health workers at the centre assess malnutrition by measuring children’s upper arms, with those at risk given fortified, high-energy biscuits as a preventive measure. Severely malnourished children receive ready-to-use therapeutic food, a concentrated paste designed to help them recover over several weeks.

    “It’s basically a medicine that’s administered to children like a paste,” Ingram explained. “But we just don’t have enough; the demand is really high, and supplies are low.”

    The IPC also warned that famine could soon spread to other areas of Gaza, as Israel continues to impose severe restrictions on supplies of humanitarian aid amid a deepening hunger crisis across the territory.

    The Palestinian Ministry of Health reported on Friday that at least five people, including two children, died of starvation and malnutrition in Gaza over the past 24 hours.

    The deaths bring the total number of people killed by hunger and malnutrition since the war began to 322, including 121 children.

    Israeli assault on Gaza City

    Israeli forces have carried out a sustained bombardment on Gaza City since early August, as the military prepares for a larger assault to seize Gaza’s largest urban centre – in an operation that could forcibly displace a million Palestinians to concentration zones in southern Gaza.

    The relentless bombardment from the air and land has forced residents to flee to the western parts of the city, the Palestinian Health Ministry told media.

    Gaza’s Civil Defence estimates that more than 1,000 residential buildings in the Zeitoun and Sabra neighbourhoods of Gaza City have been flattened since August 6.

    Residents described relentless bombardment and attacks from helicopters. “They launched a firebelt attack only 150 metres (500ft) away from us. They scorched the entire area,” said Nihad Madoukh from Sheikh Radwan in northwestern Gaza City, speaking to media. “It was very scary bombardment.”

    Displaced resident Ahmed Moqat said he had been moving constantly to escape Israeli attacks. “Here’s the debris that fell last night next to my head,” he said. “Now I will go out in the street, only God knows where I will go.”

    Dozens killed across Gaza

    At least 41 Palestinians, including six aid seekers, were killed in attacks across Gaza on Friday, medical sources told media.

    Palestinian health workers told media that three of the aid seekers were shot dead by Israeli forces near the Netzarim Corridor in central Gaza on Friday.

    Medical sources said Israeli air strikes hit the so-called “safe zone” of al-Mawasi, west of Khan Younis, killing at least five people and wounding dozens as they slept in tents.

    Advertisement

    “We were sleeping when the bombing happened,” said a man caring for his grandchildren, whose father was killed two months ago. “The strike hit our area … We took the wounded ourselves to Nasser Hospital before the ambulances arrived. Stop this war against us. Have mercy on the children.”

    More than 62,600 Palestinians, mostly women and children, have been killed by Israel in its nearly two-year war on Gaza, and at least 157,600 have been wounded, according to Palestinian health authorities.

    Crimes Against Humanity Gaza Genocide Human Rights Humanitarian Crises Israel Israel-Palestine conflict Middle East Military News Palestine Refugees
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    Gulf News Week

    Related Posts

    Middle East

    Palestinian Authority urges US to reinstate Abbas’s visa before UNGA

    August 30, 2025
    Middle East

    Yemen’s Houthis confirm Israeli strike killed group’s prime minister

    August 30, 2025
    Middle East

    The rebellion of my daughter in besieged Gaza

    August 30, 2025
    Middle East

    Iran arrests eight suspected of spying for Israel’s Mossad in 12-day war

    August 30, 2025
    Middle East

    A music teacher uses Gaza’s relentless soundtrack of war to resist Israel

    August 30, 2025
    Middle East

    EU nations divided on sanctioning Israel for Gaza war as FMs meet

    August 30, 2025
    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Palestinian Authority urges US to reinstate Abbas’s visa before UNGA

    August 30, 2025

    Yemen’s Houthis confirm Israeli strike killed group’s prime minister

    August 30, 2025

    The rebellion of my daughter in besieged Gaza

    August 30, 2025

    Iran arrests eight suspected of spying for Israel’s Mossad in 12-day war

    August 30, 2025
    Latest Posts

    Palestinian Authority urges US to reinstate Abbas’s visa before UNGA

    August 30, 2025

    Yemen’s Houthis confirm Israeli strike killed group’s prime minister

    August 30, 2025

    The rebellion of my daughter in besieged Gaza

    August 30, 2025

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Advertisement
    Demo
    Gulf News Week

    Your source for the serious news. This demo is crafted specifically to exhibit the use of the theme as a news site. Visit our main page for more demos.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Palestinian Authority urges US to reinstate Abbas’s visa before UNGA

    August 30, 2025

    Yemen’s Houthis confirm Israeli strike killed group’s prime minister

    August 30, 2025

    The rebellion of my daughter in besieged Gaza

    August 30, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2025 Gulf News Week. Designed by HAM Digital Media.
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.