Close Menu
    What's Hot

    Clear outperformer: Abu Dhabi banks drive GCC profits

    August 31, 2025

    UAE–India trade set to defy US tariff pressures, eyes $100b milestone

    August 31, 2025

    UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon was renewed. What happens next?

    August 31, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • Economy
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Gulf News Week
    Subscribe
    Sunday, August 31
    • Home
    • Politics
      • Europe
      • Middle East
      • Russia
      • Social
      • Ukraine Conflict
      • US Politics
      • World
    • Region
      • Middle East News
    • World
    • Economy
      • Banking
      • Business
      • Markets
    • Real Estate
    • Science & Tech
      • AI & Tech
      • Climate
      • Computing
      • Science
      • Space Science
      • Tech
    • Sports

      Club World Cup marked by empty seats, searing heat, weather-delayed matches and Chelsea victory

      July 14, 2025

      In an era prizing velocity, more than 20,000 curveballs a year have disappeared from MLB

      July 14, 2025

      Iga Swiatek is at No. 3 after Wimbledon and Amanda Anisimova is in the top 10. Sinner still No. 1

      July 14, 2025

      Jannik Sinner wanted to win Wimbledon but he really needed to beat Carlos Alcaraz

      July 14, 2025

      Nationals take Eli Willits with No. 1 pick in MLB draft, first of record 17 first-round shortstops

      July 14, 2025
    • Health
    • Travel
    • Contact
    Gulf News Week
    Home»Politics»Middle East»US envoy cuts Lebanon trip short amid protests, outrage over press comments
    Middle East

    US envoy cuts Lebanon trip short amid protests, outrage over press comments

    Gulf News WeekBy Gulf News WeekAugust 27, 2025Updated:August 28, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    US envoy cuts Lebanon trip short amid protests, outrage over press comments
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Protesters decry Tom Barrack visit amid Hezbollah disarmament push, warning to journalists not to act ‘animalistic’.

    US envoy Tom Barrack has cut his visit to southern Lebanon short, according to the Lebanese government’s official news agency.

    The altered trip on Wednesday came amid protests against Washington’s push to disarm Hezbollah, as well as continued outrage over Barrack’s recent derision of journalists in the country.

    The National News Agency reported that Barrack was flown by helicopter to a Lebanese army barracks in Marjayoun, near the Israeli border, where troops were deployed in advance of his arrival on Wednesday.

    However, scheduled visits to nearby Khiam, a town devastated during fighting between Israel and Hezbollah, and to the coastal city of Tyre were later cancelled.

    The US Department of State did not respond to media’s request for comment concerning the reported change of plans.

    Barrack, who is the US ambassador to Turkiye and also serves as Washington’s special envoy for Syria, has faced growing outrage in Lebanon since Tuesday, when he told journalists to “act civilised” as they peppered him with questions following a meeting with President Joseph Aoun in Beirut.

    The US envoy further said he would stop taking questions if the situation “starts becoming chaotic, like animalistic”, while appearing to compare the exchange to the wider unrest in the Middle East.

    Critics accused the diplomat of displaying a colonial mentality, with the Lebanese presidency later expressing regret for the comments.

    Protests in southern Lebanon

    Barrack also said on Tuesday that Lebanon’s government will present a Hezbollah disarmament plan in the coming days.

    That came after Lebanon’s cabinet last month instructed the army to prepare a plan to disarm Hezbollah by the end of the year, a decision taken under heavy US pressure and amid threats by Israel of further military escalation.

    The push has also led to unrest, particularly in southern Lebanon, where Hezbollah maintains support. Early on Wednesday, images showed protesters waving Hezbollah flags, carrying pictures of slain fighters and standing near anti-US slogans scrawled on the road in Khiam.

    One message in Arabic read: “America is the great Satan”. Another in English said: “Barak [sic] is animal.”

    Protests were also reported in Tyre, where Bilal Kashmar, an official from the union of southern municipalities, said that dozens gathered to oppose Barrack’s expected arrival and to denounce Washington’s “biased policies”.

    Fighting between Israel and Lebanon escalated in the wake of the October 7, 2023, attacks on Gaza, and Israel’s subsequent military campaign in the Palestinian enclave.

    Israel and Hezbollah reached a ceasefire agreement in November 2024, but Israel has continued near-daily strikes in Lebanon, in violation of the deal. Israel has accused Hezbollah and Lebanon’s governments of failing to comply with the provisions of the agreements.

    Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem has rejected any plans to disarm the group, saying Israel must first withdraw fully from Lebanese territory and stop its continuing attacks before any discussion on laying down weapons can begin.

    Conflict Hezbollah Lebanon Middle East Military News Politics Protests
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    Gulf News Week

    Related Posts

    Editor's Choice

    Clear outperformer: Abu Dhabi banks drive GCC profits

    August 31, 2025
    Editor's Choice

    UAE–India trade set to defy US tariff pressures, eyes $100b milestone

    August 31, 2025
    Middle East

    UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon was renewed. What happens next?

    August 31, 2025
    Middle East

    US pressure may break Iranian influence in Iraq

    August 31, 2025
    Middle East

    Gaza humanitarian flotilla departs Barcelona to break Israeli siege

    August 31, 2025
    Middle East

    At least 3 killed, over 90 injured after passenger train derails in Egypt

    August 31, 2025
    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Clear outperformer: Abu Dhabi banks drive GCC profits

    August 31, 2025

    UAE–India trade set to defy US tariff pressures, eyes $100b milestone

    August 31, 2025

    UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon was renewed. What happens next?

    August 31, 2025

    US pressure may break Iranian influence in Iraq

    August 31, 2025
    Latest Posts

    Clear outperformer: Abu Dhabi banks drive GCC profits

    August 31, 2025

    UAE–India trade set to defy US tariff pressures, eyes $100b milestone

    August 31, 2025

    UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon was renewed. What happens next?

    August 31, 2025

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Advertisement
    Demo
    Gulf News Week

    Your source for the serious news. This demo is crafted specifically to exhibit the use of the theme as a news site. Visit our main page for more demos.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Clear outperformer: Abu Dhabi banks drive GCC profits

    August 31, 2025

    UAE–India trade set to defy US tariff pressures, eyes $100b milestone

    August 31, 2025

    UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon was renewed. What happens next?

    August 31, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2025 Gulf News Week. Designed by HAM Digital Media.
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.