Close Menu
    What's Hot

    Clear outperformer: Abu Dhabi banks drive GCC profits

    August 31, 2025

    UAE–India trade set to defy US tariff pressures, eyes $100b milestone

    August 31, 2025

    UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon was renewed. What happens next?

    August 31, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • Economy
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Gulf News Week
    Subscribe
    Sunday, August 31
    • Home
    • Politics
      • Europe
      • Middle East
      • Russia
      • Social
      • Ukraine Conflict
      • US Politics
      • World
    • Region
      • Middle East News
    • World
    • Economy
      • Banking
      • Business
      • Markets
    • Real Estate
    • Science & Tech
      • AI & Tech
      • Climate
      • Computing
      • Science
      • Space Science
      • Tech
    • Sports

      Club World Cup marked by empty seats, searing heat, weather-delayed matches and Chelsea victory

      July 14, 2025

      In an era prizing velocity, more than 20,000 curveballs a year have disappeared from MLB

      July 14, 2025

      Iga Swiatek is at No. 3 after Wimbledon and Amanda Anisimova is in the top 10. Sinner still No. 1

      July 14, 2025

      Jannik Sinner wanted to win Wimbledon but he really needed to beat Carlos Alcaraz

      July 14, 2025

      Nationals take Eli Willits with No. 1 pick in MLB draft, first of record 17 first-round shortstops

      July 14, 2025
    • Health
    • Travel
    • Contact
    Gulf News Week
    Home»Politics»Middle East»At least 26 refugees and migrants die in shipwreck off Italy’s Lampedusa
    Middle East

    At least 26 refugees and migrants die in shipwreck off Italy’s Lampedusa

    Gulf News WeekBy Gulf News WeekAugust 13, 2025Updated:August 14, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    At least 26 refugees and migrants die in shipwreck off Italy’s Lampedusa
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link

    There are 60 survivors from the perilous journey from Libya, but a UN agency says there could be more people missing.

    At least 26 people have died after two boats sank off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, and a United Nations agency says more refugees and migrants could be missing as search operations continue.

    Rescue services on Wednesday rescued 60 survivors, with 56 men and four women brought ashore to Lampedusa, according to the Italian Red Cross and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

    Flavio Di Giacomo, a spokesperson for the UN’s International Organization for Migration (IOM), said around 95 people had been travelling on the two vessels.

    Given that 60 people had been rescued, “approximately 35 victims are feared dead or missing”, he wrote on social media.

    The disaster, involving people travelling from Libya, was the latest to befall refugees and migrants making the perilous Mediterranean crossing from Africa to Europe.

    Rights groups and UN agencies have also documented systematic abuse against refugees and migrants in Libya, including torture, rape and extortion. In February, Libyan authorities uncovered nearly 50 bodies from two mass graves in the country’s southeastern desert, in the latest horror involving people seeking to make it to Europe through the North African country.

    Since the beginning of this year, 675 people have died in the central Mediterranean while trying to make the crossing, said Filippo Ungaro, a UNHCR spokesperson in Italy.

    An Italian law enforcement aircraft spotted a capsized boat with bodies in the water about 23km (14 miles) off Lampedusa on Wednesday morning, triggering a rescue operation, a source close to the matter told the Reuters news agency.

    Advertisement

    The Reuters source said that based on initial accounts from the rescued people, they departed from the Tripoli area in Libya in the early morning aboard two boats. One of the boats began taking on water, and they transferred to the other vessel, which later capsized in rough waters.

    Cristina Palma, who works for the Italian Red Cross in Lampedusa, said in a video statement that the survivors were in “decent” health, but four of them had been hospitalised for checks.

    Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s right-wing government has vowed to block the refugee and migrant sea journeys from Africa and has passed measures against human smugglers, including tougher jail terms, and has urged allies to do more to curb the migration attempts.

    Europe Italy Libya Middle East Migration News
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    Gulf News Week

    Related Posts

    Editor's Choice

    Clear outperformer: Abu Dhabi banks drive GCC profits

    August 31, 2025
    Editor's Choice

    UAE–India trade set to defy US tariff pressures, eyes $100b milestone

    August 31, 2025
    Middle East

    UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon was renewed. What happens next?

    August 31, 2025
    Middle East

    US pressure may break Iranian influence in Iraq

    August 31, 2025
    Middle East

    Gaza humanitarian flotilla departs Barcelona to break Israeli siege

    August 31, 2025
    Middle East

    At least 3 killed, over 90 injured after passenger train derails in Egypt

    August 31, 2025
    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Clear outperformer: Abu Dhabi banks drive GCC profits

    August 31, 2025

    UAE–India trade set to defy US tariff pressures, eyes $100b milestone

    August 31, 2025

    UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon was renewed. What happens next?

    August 31, 2025

    US pressure may break Iranian influence in Iraq

    August 31, 2025
    Latest Posts

    Clear outperformer: Abu Dhabi banks drive GCC profits

    August 31, 2025

    UAE–India trade set to defy US tariff pressures, eyes $100b milestone

    August 31, 2025

    UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon was renewed. What happens next?

    August 31, 2025

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Advertisement
    Demo
    Gulf News Week

    Your source for the serious news. This demo is crafted specifically to exhibit the use of the theme as a news site. Visit our main page for more demos.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Latest Posts

    Clear outperformer: Abu Dhabi banks drive GCC profits

    August 31, 2025

    UAE–India trade set to defy US tariff pressures, eyes $100b milestone

    August 31, 2025

    UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon was renewed. What happens next?

    August 31, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2025 Gulf News Week. Designed by HAM Digital Media.
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.